Course: Introduction to Nursing Home Administration (120-Hour Online Certificate Program)
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine's Introduction to Nursing Home Administration 120-Hour Online Certificate course is the only program offered exclusively online. The program courses have been approved by the Pennsylvania State Board of Examiners of Nursing Home Administrators and meets the CE requirements for eligibility to take the NHA licensure examination in Pennsylvania.
This program has been developed to prepare professionals interested in pursuing licensure as a nursing home administrator in long-term care. The program consists of nineteen online modules, taught by experts in the field that make up the mandated PA requirements. These modules can be viewed in any order, and can be paused and restarted at any time. Once the entire course is completed, a Course Completion Certificate will be issued for submission with the application for NHA Licensing Examination in Pennsylvania.
The objective of this program is to provide an understanding of the clinical, business and regulatory frameworks necessary for effective nursing home administration.
At the conclusion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of quality of care issues including falls, pressure ulcers, medication errors and elopements as well as quality of life issues including the exercise of resident rights and choice of therapeutic activities and the role of the nursing home administrator in the management of these issues.
- Discuss how the process of clinical assessments support the Minimum Data Set and the transmission of information used for reimbursement and the documentation to prevent allegations of fraud.
- Describe the survey process and the responsibilities of administrators, department heads and line staff for each resident every day.
- Implement and oversee nursing home operations that are compliant with all state, federal, and local regulations as well as with standards of geriatric services.
- Describe the key leadership responsibilities of the nursing home administrator including principles of ethical decision making, corporate compliance, communication and public relations.
- Analyze financial reports, key performance indicators, and the business strategies for success of the nursing home organization.